dinsdag 27 juni 2017

IRIS WOUTERA DE JONG - FASHIONCLASH Festival 2017


Meet Iris Woutera de Jong, a 25 year old fashion design student at the Gerrit Rietveld Academy. Iris was born in Rotterdam and is currently living in Amsterdam.
Iris plans involve material design for the individual body.  She plans on designing spaces where people can have a sensory experience as well as studying spatial design.
The main achievements in her career are her various performances in a museum in Paris, a hippie festival and other art venues!
At the moment she is touring with DEFORM and DEFORM REFLECT at theatre festivals, garden venues and fashion festivals. After her tour she will focus on ‘Artist in Residence’ program.

You can see Iris's performance on the 30th of June at the Fashion Makes Sense LAB at 20:00 (free entrance) at SAMdecofabriek






How would you define fashion?
I define my fashion as ‘innovative material designed for the body’. Body movement and                      sensory  experiences are very important in my works.  

What fascinates/inspires you and why? Nature and the society we have created.

Finding your own distinctive voice can be difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing/during the design process)?
On the streets. In Amsterdam we have specific days when citizens can put out old stuff that they don’t need anymore. A garbage car comes to pick it all up. So when you bike through Amsterdam you can always find interesting stuff laying around.

What challenges did you face during the design process?
To lead myself by experimentation rather than by a pre-thinking process. Through experimentation I can surprise myself and discover new things.

What do you want to communicate with your work in general? Experience through senses and body. Find creativity and connection.
  
Can you tell us something about the project you will present at the FASHIONCLASH Festival?
DEFORM REFLECT is a performance created on spot by an artist, three dancers and a                       harpist. Through innovative 3D design we explore the ways in which we can be as human in               constant flux? 
We put away ‘fixed thinking lines’ and purely follow our instincts. Where do these lead us?                 Hypnotically we helm your senses into a world of sounds, reflecting light, human body and                 your own presence…
What do you try to communicate with your project?
I like to show people a surrealistic piece they haven’t seen before, because they have to rethink what they already know. So it opens up perception and hopefully give them a creative experience. I noticed before that my public likes to share their creative experiences, and make connections to each other. Which I find very interesting! I am all for a creative, open and connective society.
Also this piece speaks to your senses: light, sound, touch of the material, body impulses. I like to give people a sensory experience, also to find more flexibility and creativity in themselves and to open up their perception.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
Because it is taking place in Maastricht (exotic city in the Netherlands), it is something new, the vibe around Fashionclash is very young and daring. The openness to performance and different art forms. And I really like the openness of the organization. 

FASHIONCLASH is already working on future themes. What are the topics you find interesting? 
Sensory design, movement and the ways in which fashion can be political.

What are your thoughts regarding ‘religion and fashion’?
The same way yoga can be a religion to some of us, the sensory movement in my costumes can also be a religious centring experience.

Does fashion makes sense to you? 
Fashion make sense for me as a study to identity. Although in my own work I like to lose personal identity and show only the human body.

What are your thoughts on making ‘fashion’ more environmentally-friendly?
I try to re-use material. For my current project DEFORM REFLECT I am sponsored by a curtains company who donates old materials for the project. I would like to make my products of 100% recycled materials.
What are your thoughts on the senses in relation to the human body?
Sensory experiences rule my designs. There are such wisdom treasures to find in your body. It is actually all there… Plug out your stream of thoughts and experience it!

Do you think that fashion can contribute to a better world / better well-being, and what do you do to make a difference?
I like to connect people through art. To make them more creative, flexible and connecting. Personal connection leads to sharing which is I think what we need more in this world.


How does technology change your creation process?
I need machines to produce my art. For example big heavy sewing machines. During my process I use video cameras a lot, to capture movements. The internet is always present in everything; to look for locations, keep in contact with the crew and show my work online. But I like it a lot that my performance and experience are absolutely live, without using any medium. I want people to experience real bodies. A grounding experience that forces people out of their minds into their bodies. 
I believe that augmented reality is doing the complete opposite to people.

What senses are engaged in your creation process?
Touch, feel, seeing, hearing, body impulses



What’s a standard day for you?
Waking up and work on my projects.

Vegan, vegetarian, healthy diet or any food will do?
Vegetarian all my life… and now very curious to veganism.

What’s your favourite song at the moment?
The song Rosalie Wammes made for our performance DEFORM REFLECT. The song has no name yet! It is experimental electric harp music. Absolutely hypnotizing…

Best Tv-show/movie at the moment?
The secret life of 4, 5 and 6 years old! So amusing.
              
            What is your bad habit?
Many.

Are you a people's person or a loner?
Both.

Do you have a pet?
No, only plants.

Your favourite quote?
DHL; it gets there when it gets there…. Or it doesn’t.

What’s your favourite city?
Rotterdam.

What/Who do you miss the most when you are not at home?
My collection of treasures; which are beautiful objects I found on the street and leftovers from art projects. This makes my room interesting to live in. But I am most happy when being on the road!
performance at FASHIONCLASH Festival

If you could move anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Latin America, because they move, dance and live!

What do you enjoy the most in life?
The sun shining through the green leaves in summertime…

What’s your guilty pleasure?
Dancing on nineties hits and bubbling remix songs. And reading the Happinez magazine haha!

Who is your biggest example/idol?
Baukje Schweigman and Cocky Eek. They make amazing theatre plays and art installations.

Favourite magazine?
The Theater year guide…. To see which plays are coming up!

Your favourite hashtags #?
#gezellig

You favorite social media app?
Instagram

Instagram account you think deserves more attention?
Oh Thunder; https://www.instagram.com/ohthunder/?hl=nl. Although their website is even nicer.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...