woensdag 20 april 2011

Unconventional Wieteke

What is your name? My name is Wieteke Ilse Opmeer

What is the name of your label? The name of my label is also Wieteke Opmeer, nice and simple.

Where did you study and when did you graduate? I studied "3D design" at the Art academy of Utrecht (HKU) and I graduated in 2008.

What inspires you as a designer? I get inspired by simple things that seem effortless. The ones that you think "why didn't I think of it?". I like to think of designing as I think of cooking. Just a few simple ingredients in the right balance usually make the greatest tasting dishes.


Preparations for 'staindress' project: dyeing samples and coloring substance (FASHIONCLASH likes!)


 More of the color samples for the new project.


Who is your favorite artist? Why? For a long time now my favorite artist is Andy Goldsworthy. He is an artist that builds art in nature with the use of surrounding materials which he usually documents over time, showing the artwork going back to nature. I love the powerful simplicity of his work. By using materials that are ‘already there’ the artwork isn’t ‘forced’ but just utilizing the natural beauty. This is exactly what I also would like to do in my work – working with the material instead of forcing my ideas onto something that isn't made for it.

What can you bring to FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011? I am not the typical fashion oriented artist and I think that could create interesting opposites which could elevate both sides. I like to think that opposites attract. But most of all I will bring myself and my vision.

What do you expect from the FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011? I'm hoping for an interesting mix of people, visiting and cooperating. I also hope that FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011 will create the atmosphere in which you will get in touch with interesting people and expand your network.

How did your experience with fashion started? When did you decide to be a (fashion) designer? As a young girl I realized that I had to do something creative, since I couldn’t be happy sticking to the "regular" way of living. Very early I decided to try my creativity as a florist, however finishing ‘florist’ courses I knew that I wasn't "there" yet. At that time I applied to the art academy, where I was developing and over the years got a clearer vision of what I wanted. It was clear enough that after graduating I decided to start my own business and try to make a living of it.

What are your goals concerning your career? What are your ambitions? Where do you see yourself in the future? I would like to have my own line of beautiful, hip and affordable ecological textiles like teacloths, table-linen and so on, which larger companies could sell and from which I could gain a "steady" income. This would give me more time and finances to experiment and do art projects, on my own or with other artists, because my favorite thing is to keep playing.

 

Fabric sample and a collage from Wieteke's previous project



Edited by Natalia Serwanska

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...