vrijdag 1 april 2011

Let us introduce Jacob Kok


What is your name? Jacob Kok

Where did you study and when did you graduate?
I graduated from the theater design department at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie Amsterdam in 2005.

What inspires you as a designer? The human body is what made me decide to work on costumes. I'm intrigued by people's faces, very often, I'm distracted when people talk to me because all of my attention goes to their facial expressions, and how their behavior reflects their personality. Even when someone really annoys me, I find a fascination in that energy. Also, I probably should be a documentary maker, but I like fiction too much.

Who is your favorite artist? Why? Crystal Castles. Their performance consists of only a few elements and yet they manage to create a full-on, hypnotizing show. That chick that plays the role of singer has a unique talent to perform a powerful nutcase character, and the dude just creates amazing songs.

What will you present during FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011? I will show a small collection of 5 outfits named "Being Fever Ray". I admire Fever Ray because she hides herself behind a mask, her work tells a poetic story that I can relate to. I started working like she does, by collecting symbolic elements from several primitive cultures and combining them intuitively. For now the main element I explore is the totem pole. Totem poles are often associated with idol worship but in fact only tell a story connected to the tribe that creates them. For me Fever Ray seems to be an artist that struggles with being an idol but has an urge to express herself.

Sketches of "Being Fever Ray" collection






















What do you expect from the FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011? I am looking forward to meeting so many inspirational, young designers who are going through similar experiences like me in establishing themselves. It is also extremely helpful that FASHIONCLASH takes care of the production side of things so I can focus on my work.

How did your experience with fashion started? When did you decide to be a fashion designer? I have a difficult relationship with the fashion industry because my goal has never been to start a label. Creating is something that I have been doing ever since I remember, but my work is not a proposal for real life, it's fiction. To answer the question I decided to become a designer the day I realized everything around us comes from human hands. 
What are your goals concerning your career? What are your ambitions? Where do you see yourself in the future? I would like to get involved in the music industry, in art direction for music video's and concerts.


Jacob Kok's collection presented during FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2010
Photo by Peter Stigter


Jacob Kok's collection presented during FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2010
Photo by Peter Stigter


Edited by Natalia Serwanska

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...