donderdag 7 mei 2015

JIVIKA BIERVLiET at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2015



We love, when participants from past editions of our festival are comming back - we can observe them developing, progressing and changing. Today we introduce you to Jivika Biervliet, who will participate already 4th time at FASIHONCLASH Festival! This time Jivika will collaborate Peter Hsieh, while the results of this work will be presented at FASHIONCLASH Festival Show case.



Who are you?
 My Name is Jivika Biervliet, I'm a menswear designer.

Where do you come from?
My parents are from Surinam, I was born in Nijmegen (NL) and live in Arnhem. In 2010 I graduated in Fashion communication at the HKU.

Where are you based? How long have you been designing clothing?
I'm based in a nice small studio in the center of Arnhem where everything is being made. I started designing clothing just a few months before I started with my study in 2005, I had no idea of what I was doing haha.

How would you describe your work?
My work is always very personal. It starts with a feeling which grows into a concept. I always try to let my collections speak for itself. The collections are build-up of showpieces and minimalistic ready to wear items. I especially love to work with unusual materials. My designs are conceptual, experimental, clean and wearable at the same time.

What is your technique? 
Becoming my concept. Look, walk & talk like my concept. And I also need be alone so I can travel back to my own planet.

Have you shown your collections before, if so, where?
Yes I have shown my collections among others during previous editions of FASHIONCLASH, Amsterdam Fashion Week and FashionPhilosophy Fashion Week Poland & Cologne Fashion Days on behalf of FASHIONCLASH.

What do you aspire to be? 
Forever young.




What is your most name worthy achievement up to now in relation to fashion? 
The chances to collaborate with other great inspiring artist like accessory designer Peter Hsieh, visual artist Niek Pulles and choreographer Jasper van Luijk.

Who are your artistic influences or inspirations and why? 
Hip-hop culture, dancers, artists like MJ, and for this collection E.T. the Extra Terrestrial was a main influencer. The collection which I will show during FASHIONCLASH Festival in June is inspired by the feeling of being alienated from this world. It's about authenticity and the longing to escape, it's about being yourself.

Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing; during the design process)? 
I use my intuition.


"To me fashion is about sharing feelings, having fun and sharing your world. As a child I always dreamed of having my own planet with a rollercoaster in my backyard. Though fashion I can build that backyard."




What was the most important thing your parents taught you, that you now bring into your work? 
Never forget where you come from

Have you recently experienced something that totally blew your mind? 
My little 8 month old nephew Vince James smiling at me.

Which item in your wardrobe really typifies you and why? 
My XXXL black coat which makes me look even more shorter. I'm 1.56m tall. Regularly people tell me that I'm small, but I don't feel small at all.

What is your most favorite accessory and why? 
My Surinamese pendant (ogri ai) which protects me, I can't remember when I was not wearing it.

What is your most favorite brand and why?
Henrik Vibskov because of his insane installations and every show that I fell in love with. He's a genius. The same goes for Craig Green, I especially love his designs.

Are you a people's person or a loner? 
Both. I can get so much energy of partying and laughing with my friends or meeting new people. But I also love to be on my own, be on my own planet, get back into my own world, to feel what I feel.


What do you strive for in your work?
Inspire people with my vision.

What are the key factors in your designs? 
Humor, outspoken materials, conceptual & clean silhouettes.

What makes your items different from others (What is your designing philosophy)?
I believe that it is unnecessary to work with boundaries in menswear.

Fashion needs to progress year in year out, how do you keep innovating? 
Listen to my intuition and especially stay true to how I feel and see things.

What is the contemporary condition of fashion in your place of residence?
In Arnhem you find the most interesting fashion on the streets. In my opinion it's the coolest thing if people wear what they like and where they feel good in, whether it looks good or not. It expresses a personality.

What is your ultimate goal? What do you want to achieve with your projects? 
Creating more opportunity’s to share my work. I hope to have more projects with dancers and other creatives. I love collaborations, it's so inspiring to bring more forces together. And I would love to see people on the streets wearing my designs.

What are your views on gender categorization in fashion? (as in differentiating between male/female collections, is this necessary?) 
I don’t think it’s necessary because I believe that the strict boundaries which you see in men’s fashion are unnecessary. I believe it’s more interesting if you can view it in the way you want.

Do you believe the western binary gender system (male/female) will eventually disappear? 
The western binary gender system may not disappear, but I hope that there will be more equality and acceptation in the differences between gender and races.

What are your thoughts on the idea that unisex is the new androgynous in fashion? 
I think it's really cool. The differences between men and women are getting smaller and smaller, also in the way of living. My collections also contains a lot of items which are suitable for women, and it’s really surprising how stylists use my work on female models, sometimes I can’t even recognize the pieces.

What does your collection try to communicate (what is about)? 
My collection is inspired by the feeling of being alienated from this world It’s about authenticity and escapism, it’s about being yourself.




Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH? 
I already participated 3 times before. I did a catwalk show, an exhibition and last year we showed a dance performance on the runway. I especially love the positive relaxed vibe during FASHIONCLASH Festival, and working with the nice people who organise it.

What has changed/happened since your last attendance at FASHIONCLASH?
FASHIONCLASH Festival offered me the opportunity to show and expose my work during the Cologne Fashion Days. It was so much fun and I would never had missed this, I’m really thankful for every opportunity they have created for me. The distinguished dreams dance project they approached me for was also an amazing thing, I hope to do more of these projects in the future.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...