woensdag 27 mei 2015

KAROLINA SIARKOWICZ at FASHIONCLASH Exhibition 2015

Today we would like to introduce to our FASHIONCLASH Festival 2015 Exhibition participant - Karolina Siarkowicz. Karolina lives in Warsaw, Poland and except being fashion design intern and student, she does great illustrations. In June, she will expose her gender-focused drawings, named "GENDER? TAKE HOMOS AWAY FROM ME" which depict the extreme visions on the term 'gender' in polish society.

Get to know Karolina by reading our short interview with her.


How would you define fashion? 
For me the meaning of word fashion changes with every new experience in this industry. Sometimes I don’t want to continue my fashion work anymore, and sometimes I am able to sacrifice a lot for it. I think that the experience is hugely influence by the people you are surrounded with. Currently I am in a group of designers and artists, who are creating from the heart. Fashion is still some kind of riddle for me – I treat it like CSI: Miami, Crime Scene Investigation: Miami. I believe, that there will be still many moments in my life, when I will be fed up with fashion industry, but if someone steped in fashion once, it is nearly impossible to leave it behind.


What does your collection try to communicate (what is about)?
My illustrations show the visions of my friends on gender. Before I started working on the pieces I have been collecting their interpretations and illustrated them. To be honest, it was very difficult for me to interpret the modern concept of the word "gender", which now has many meanings. In my country, the word gender has been demonized by the media and above all by the church as Poland is a country with strong believer it got very negative connotation. In my illustrations I got inspired by music video of Perfume Genius “Queen”, refereed to the ancient mythology, equality in fashion and old photography of transvestite, which my friend shared with me.

How did you find out about FASHIONCLASH?
I found out about FASHIONCLASH through FashionPhilosophy Fashion Week Poland. My friend from the Netherlands encouraged me to move forward and make a step by participating at the festival.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...