woensdag 20 mei 2015

Joelle Boers at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2015

Get to know JOELLE BOERS, who comes from the little Dutch town Geleen near Maastricht. After her studies in Graphic Design and Photography, she desired to explore the world of Fashion and Textile Design at MAFAD (Maastricht Academy Fine Arts and Design).
She has been involved in many FASHIONCLASH events and projects.
Joelle will present her debut, self-designed collection at FASHIONCLASH Festival Show Program and purchase her designs at the designer Market.
In addition she takes part at Designers in Store within festival's Side Program, her work will be presented and sold at Stijl Maastricht boutique.


How would you describe your work ? What is your technique? 
From my childhood on, I had always a passion for illustrations/photography and collaging. My work is a reflection of my fascination by the aesthetics of all things: natural phenomena, technological and cultural identity. I am heavily influenced by materials and their surfaces, blending hand painting, patterns and photography, By connecting these diverse elements my label has developed a unique aesthetic. Through fabric and dexterous print design, far-reaching stories are told. Trying to show a transition from ancient cultures into a more futuristic type of beauty.

Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing; during the design process)? 
In the world there is so much going on, the technology goes very fast, your privacy is everywhere…So I think it’s important to stay close to yourself, your emotions your strength and weakness, show to people how you think about that, make a statement. Sometimes I find inspiration on the streets, in nature, or sometimes from an old movie, and then I try to combine those things together to my own vision of beauty.








Which item in your wardrobe really typifies you and why? 
My shoes; I collect shoes for over 8 years now, from grungy boots, to bold sneakers and very high heels and sandals! I love shoes, from Topshop, Zara or a high end brands like Alexander Wang, without the perfect shoe your outfit is boring!


What is your most favorite accessory and why? 
My Alexander Wang Rocco Duffle Bag, it’s edgy and raw just like my style, I bought it with the money that I won with a design contest in 2010! And my dogs! I can’t live without them..! My 8 year old Husky Luca, who’s my biggest support in rough times… and my new 7 month old puppy Jax ofcourse! They match with every outfit ;)

What is your most favorite brand and why?
Balenciaga (Alexander Wang) because of the way he mixes sport with feminine chic and Alexander McQueen because he had the technical and creative skill to create his own dark universe. Each of his pieces has layers of meaning: as you move closer, you discover scales, shells with ragged-knife edges, peacock feathers, coral reefs, jellyfish, entire marine ecosystems.

How would you define fashion? 
“Fashion is just the medium “ said McQueen. 

What do you strive for in your work? 
Wearable and unique designs for man and woman, mostly unisex, limited in stock and made with care for the environment.




What are your views on gender categorization in fashion ? (as in differentiating between male/female collections, is this necessary ?)
I think in this century we are ready for genderless categorization, just wear what feels good and who you want to be. 

What are your thoughts on the idea that unisex is the new androgynous in fashion ? 
I think it is not about harnessing a 'trend' but rather tapping into a mind-set and acknowledging and responding a cultural shift that is happening now.



What does your collection try to communicate (what is about)? 
My upcoming collection called E Y W A and elaborates on the idea, that the entire biosphere acts like a single organism, or at least a complex system and that the Earth is consciously manipulating the biosphere in order to make conditions more favorable to life. 

Inspired by E Y W A I created creatures and adventurers who are each an individual, morphing insects, plant species and stone patterns together to create my own type of futuristic beauty and cultural identity of the Navi warriors, a new urban style.


Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival again? 
Because I wanted to achieve my next goal; textile designer goes fashion designer. This is the first time I created a ready to wear collection all by myself. And FASHIONCLASH Festival is the perfect fashion festival to connect with the international fashion industry! 

What can we expect from you at the festival?
For the show at FCF2015 I collaborate with the talented Czech designer Sofya Samareva (designer market participant), she is going to design some amazing cap-hats for my collection, so I hope we will make a statement with catwalk debut! ;)




Who are your target consumers? How do you define them?
My target group are mostly people between 18 and 35 years old, man and woman, who are brave enough to wear my bold prints ;) My price range is between 50 and 450 euro, it depends on which design piece it is, how exclusive and the work it costs me.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...