donderdag 2 mei 2013

Textile designer Jolijn Pasmans

Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?)
Jolijn Pasmans: a materialist, texturist and inspirator.
Being a designer, I create materials and forms to inspire other designers and producers within the field of fashion and interior. Tactility, texture and atmosphere are very important in my designs.
During my study at the Design Academy in Eindhoven I fell in love with textile and textile techniques, which are now part of my main skills. Other materials like plastics and concrete are also within my expertise.
My way of working is very impulsive and experimental. I always have to create a mess in order to design, after this messy stage the analytical stage starts. I think this process comes from my youth, in which everything was allowed. In school I have always tried to stay true to this way of designing, and I still do.



What inspires you in general?
Weird materials, impulsive travels, summer rain, outrageous architecture, cheap materials, forgotten history, abandoned cities, lost photographs, technical materials, daddy’s attic.
I always have an eye out for images that reflect this overload of inspiration, which I then post on my blog: http://mellifluousinsouciance.tumblr.com/

Where are you based?
At the moment I live in Eindhoven.

What is it like to be a young designer in your city?
I think Eindhoven is the ugliest place in the world. And although there sometimes is beauty in ugliness, it’s quite hard to find it over here. The only reason to live here is The Design Academy, and this is the case for a lot of graduates. The academy is like a creative isle in the middle of boring Eindhoven, a very nice and safe place, where everything is possible. There are some places in Eindhoven which are as nice as the academy, and within these places, Eindhoven is a great place to be as a young designer. Another advantage of the lack of interesting stuff going on in Eindhoven is the fact that you can focus on your design work.
Nevertheless, Eindhoven is a growing design city because of all the graduates (from both the Design Academy and the Technical University) who stay here after their graduation. Once in a while there are very nice exhibitions, events or parties like during the Dutch Design Week.
There are still not enough big design companies, so finding a job or assignments as a young designer can be quite hard. Because of this I travel a lot, which is not really a big problem because Eindhoven is not too far away from Amsterdam, Antwerp or other cities in the Netherlands and Belgium. In the future I will probably live in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Stockholm or maybe London.

What place/city do you find inspiring? 
Cities is Wallonia and crazy parties


What is the concept behind your latest collection/creation?
Balaena is a fabric collection for womenswear inspired by the whaling expeditions of the Dutch factory ship 'Willem Barendsz'. 
This collection was inpsired by the whale hunt of the Dutch after the Second World War. After this war fats and oils were scarce in the Netherlands. This was a period of great scarcity throughout the war that torn Europe, and the Netherlands were no exception. Since the Dutch lacked both the money and opportunity to buy these necessary goods on the international market, they decided to go out ad get it themselves in the Antarctic.
The fabrics represent the hard life on the 'Willem Barendsz'. Fabrics with firm and stiff bindings in order to prevent ripping and tearing. Materials pleated into big warm volumes like a whale, to surround you as to protect you against the cold. Coated layers hide inside softness and keep the dirt on a distance while covered surfaces show beauty and confidence. 
This collection is intended for clothing worn by strong self-assured women. A collection book shows the atmosphere of my inspiration and images offer suggestions for the use of the fabrics in clothing.

Jolijn's great uncle
Louw Geraedts
on board of the factory ship
 Willem Barendsz

Describe your collection/creation in three words.
Refined, strong and voluminous.

Did you always want to work in the field of fashion?
I don’t think I’m really a fashion designer, but I like the way fashion works and shows the spirit of the time we’re living in. The pace in which it evolves also fascinates me. 

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
I’m not used to working with or for a muse. For me it’s not inspiring and also not possible, I’m more focused on stories, materials, structures, images, atmospheres and textures instead of a person.

Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Alexander Wang, Issey Miyake and Alexander McQueen

What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
At the moment I’m focusing on getting as much attention as possible for my graduation projects. FASHIONCLASH is my first big opportunity to show my fabrics to the world.

What is on your music list while you are making your collection/creation?
I prefer vinyl records, but at the moment I’m listening to Daft Punk - Get Lucky

What made you smile today?
 The butcher asked me whether he should cut the chicken filet in little heart-shaped pieces.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?
Heart-shaped pieces of chicken filet.

What can we expect from you in the future?
More publications and exhibitions to get designers’ and producers’ attention. In October during the Dutch Design Week my work ‘Soft Concrete’ will be presented at the graduation show of Design Academy Eindhoven. This is my second graduation project, about concrete in interior. The samples will soon be incorporated into the MATERIA material bank.


Jolijn's former atelier.















Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...