vrijdag 11 mei 2018

Jacqueline Loekito - FASHIONCLASH Festival 2018


Art direction and Photographer: 
Yasmina Haddad and Matthias Waldhart 
Models : Tobija Stuker and Tosca Waeber 
MUA : Indah Spaene
Hair and assistant : Chioma Blaser
Born in Jakarta, Jacqueline Loekito moved to London at the age of 19 in order to study Fashion Design at UCA. Recently she completed master at the The Institute of Fashion Design Basel and presented her collection at the Doing Fashion Show 2018. Her new collection, 'PAPIN MADNESS' continues with this theme, going against the statement 'girls wear pink and boys wear blue'. She builds upon an idea of 'similarity', where everyone can wear whichever clothes they choose, challenging men to wear heels, dresses and pink.

Her collection will be presented at the Show Programme on Saturday the 16th of June, at the SAM-Decorfabriek. You can get your tickets here.


What made you realize that you wanted to work in (fashion) design?
I think I decided my fashion career when I was 8 years old.

Why did you choose fashion?
Because fashion is the only form of communication that I know.



What would you say are your main achievements in your career?
I think to keep on going in Fashion with so many ups and downs is definitely an achievement, also finishing my master's degree is one of them.

What are your sources of inspiration?
For me my own personal/family stories, the pain and happiness are my main inspirations.

Why did you decide to participate in FASHIONCLASH 2018? What are your expectations? I’ve been following FASHIONCLASH on Instagram and really want to be part of the ‘gang’. I would like to meet new people, make new contacts and also show my work in a different platform.

What do you love most about (fashion) design? What are the biggest struggles faced by young designers?
I think to be able to make my own world become visible and having people believing my vision. I am quite lucky to be living as a fashion designer now as the internet helps a lot with visibility, but the real struggle is of course getting the brand rolling without any investment/backing.

How would you define fashion?
It’s a weapon to be YOU

What do you think are the most important issues in fashion today?
 We have so many brands, collections per year and still everyone is looking the same.


Art direction and Photographer: 
Yasmina Haddad and Matthias Waldhart 
Models : Tobija Stuker and Tosca Waeber 
MUA : Indah Spaene
Hair and assistant : Chioma Blaser

How do you think fashion contributes to society, can it contribute to a better world? 
I think we (fashion community) communicate through clothing, if we spread the awareness together we could achieve something big.

What challenges do you face in the design process? What are your favorite parts of the process?
I think realizing a product from A to Z takes time but time defines who I am so it’s a love and hate relationship.

Describe your design process in one word.
LOVE

How would you describe the concept behind your project (for FASHIONCLASH)?
I wanted to abolish “baby boy wears blue and baby girls wear pink”, we started the opposite and the sad part is the marketing world dictates what colors do we wear. My vision since I started fashion in 2006 is that there is no separation in clothing between men and women. The purpose of this collection is popularizing genderless clothing in society today, giving an understanding to people that men and women can share their clothing. Each design will come in double look or similar with different fabrics and colors. My aim is to divide the 12 looks in pairs which involves two men, two women, one man and one woman with different ethnic backgrounds for the show.

What inspired you?
The story of Papin Sisters. They were mad maids that killed their bosses in France 1930s. Based on true story, their personal intimate relationship with each other inspire me to create 6 different stories, each story reflecting on their stages in life.

Doing Fashion Show 2018| Photo: Bon Wongwannawat 
How would you describe your project in three words?
MADNESS, BOLD, GENDERLESS

What projects are you involved in at the moment? What are your next steps?
I’m just focusing on the development of my own brand.

What are your thoughts regarding fashion and religion?
I think they come hand in hand, inseparably. Fashion is my religion, my religion is fashion.

How does your day look like during the design process?
Picking fabrics that I love and play with them.

Who is your favorite artist?
All human beings are artists

Who is your favorite designer?
Hussein Chalayan for changing the way we think of fashion in a social context.

To find out more, visit her website at www.jacquelineloekito.com

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...