maandag 27 juni 2016

JOELLE BOERS X CHRIS VAN DEN ELZEN

design by Joelle Boers | photo by Karen Kikkert
Meet Dutch textile and print designer and owner of a conceptstore Joelle Boers, who has a passion for illustration and has a graphic design background. In 2011 she graduated in in Textile Design at MAFAD, the Netherlands. Two years later she started her own label; JOELLE BOERS | STUDIO. For FASHIONCLASH Festival 2016, Joelle teams up with shoe/accessoires designer Chris van den Elzen who is based in Utrecht. In December 2012 he graduated at the Identity Department of the Design Acedemy Eindhoven. Chris also has his own label: Chris van den Elzen.
Both of the designers aren't new to FASHIONCLASH Festival; they participated at various editions and events during.

You can see their new collection 'COSMOGONY' Friday July 1, Show 2 at 21:00. For the show you can get your tickets here. You will also be able to see and buy their collection at the Designer Market. Friday July 1 open at 18:30 and Saturday July 2 open at 16:00 (free entrance).

When did you realise you wanted to be a fashion designer? How long have you been designing clothing? 
Joelle Boers: From childhood on I was always drawing and painting or making clothes for my Barbie dolls. I realized to work in fashion during my study at MAFAD, I love to create prints and see how they come to live when you use them on different garments.

Chris van den Elzen: I realized to work in fashion during my study at the Design Academy, I love to construct pieces around the human body.


What are your main achievements in your career at this moment? 
Joelle Boers: My own label JOELLE BOERS | STUDIO, starting my first real production, international catwalkshows and many exhibitions or tradefairs worldwide. And ofcourse my Conceptstore & Atelier, a shop for Fashion, Design and lifestyle! So a bit like building my own empire..some day

Chris van den Elzen: My own label Chris van den Elzen, several catwalkshows and many exhibitions worldwide.

'Fashion in my opinion is a way to express, to make a statement, to blend in the mass or just to be yourself.'

In what projects are you involved at this moment? 
Joelle Boers: The collaboration collection with Chris van den Elzen, a big collaboration with Hotel THE DUTCH, and a collaboration with a Fashion Incubator for my production! Stay tuned!

Chris van den Elzen: The collaboration with Joelle Boers, curator at the DDW for Damn Pretty Dutch Shoes together with Lisa Snook of the virtual shoe museum and starting a new collaboration with another Dutch Designer so stay tuned!

How would you define fashion? 
Joelle Boers: Fashion is just the medium..!

Chris van den Elzen: Fashion in my opinion is a way to express, to make a statement, to blend in the mass or just to be yourself.

design by Chris van den Elzen | photo by Karen Kikkert
Who are your artistic influences or inspirations and why? 
Joelle Boers: The multi-dimensional influences of subculture, architecture, sci-fi and nature with its inexhaustible variety of potentials are always the inspiration behind my work.

Chris van den Elzen: At the moment I’m driven by the world of architecture and all the materials around us.

Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing; during the design process)? 
Joelle Boers: I start a new concept with pictures of my inspiration, I make a moodboard on a large wall, with many different materials and illustrations. My creations develop during the design/making process. After two collections my third will be a mix of showpieces and ready to wear, I think it’s important as young designer that people also can buy your work, so your label can be shown by the main public of all kind of cultures

Chris van den Elzen: This ‘voice’ is always there, it’s not something that comes and goes, my creations develop during the design/making process, some things can be perfect in your mind, but change drastically during the process, in the end the details can be completely different.

What challenges did you face during the design process? 
Joelle Boers: To be innovative, wearable and combine structured and print showpieces in one collection.

Chris van den Elzen: The ongoing battle to find the right material and way to construct them.

Can you tell us something about the project you will present at the FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
Joelle Boers & Chris van den Elzen: Together we will present the COSMOGNY collection, prints, garments, shoes, jewelry. An urban mix of ready to wear and showpieces.

design by Joelle Boers | photo by Karen Kikkert
What does your collection try to communicate (what is it about)? 
Joelle Boers & Chris van den Elzen: Any model concerning the coming-into-excistence,of either the cosmos or the so-called reality of sentient beings: COSMOGONY Developing a complete theoretical model has implications in both the philosophy of sience and epistemology. One cosmogonical view sees time as fundamental and even eternal. With this collection we want to give each individual it’s own evolved silhouet of japanese culture and sci-fi, a multiverse reflection of organism and being. A mix of showpieces and ready to wear for man and woman.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
Joelle Boers: FASHIONCLASH is supporting me as young designer since I’ve graduated. This is my 3th time at the FCF show/market participant and it feels like being part of the family, just love the atmosphere and the way of how things are organized #GOODVIBES!

Chris van den Elzen: This is my 3rd time at the FCF and it feels like being part of the Family, just love the atmosphere and the way of how things are organized. What can we expect from you at the festival? Joelle Boers: Minimalistic Prints // Heritage in the Now // Material Mix Chris van den Elzen: Some challenging high heels as always, but also some refined minimalistic jewelry and edgy Unisex Sandals.

What has changed/happened since your last attendance at FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
Joelle Boers: My label is growing, with thanks to the FCF team! They approach me for cool collaborations and participations international, and more clients contact me for cool projects; I was participant at Prague Design Supermarket, Bratislava Fashionweek, Fashionweek Amsterdam, Modefabriek Amsterdam and a great challenging collaboration for Specsavers!

Chris van den Elzen: Together with Judith van Vliet we had an opening show at the Vodafone Transformatorhuis venue at the MBFWA 2015 (July). And I started together with Liza Snook the Damn Pretty Dutch Shoes platform for Dutch Talent to show their shoe designs at the DDW.

Can you tell us something about your heritage? 
Joelle Boers: I grew up in a little town Geleen, surrounded by smalltown people and the nature. The moment I graduated High School my first study was Graphic Design & Communication in Boxtel were I started to develop myself and my urge to create. After being graduated I wanted more, exploring the world of Fashion and Textile Design so I went to MAFAD, had a really cool intership in London for 6 months, and after graduation I wanted to build something for my own, my Conceptstore & Atelier here in my hometown together with my boyfriend. So in that way I maybe turned my back to my heritage.

Chris van den Elzen: I grew up in a farmers region and assisted till my 18th at some farms. The moment I graduated High School I escaped to the city were I started to develop myself and my urge to create. So in that way I maybe turned my back to my heritage.

How is the theme Heritage related to your work (can be also preferred to previous work)? 
Joelle Boers: It’s a refelection of how I see things now with a cultural background of all kind of heritage, from nature to architecture. There is always some story behind my work that tells about certain prints or structures mixed up into the now.

designs by Chris van den Elzen 

Chris van den Elzen: I think my work is the opposite of my heritage, I create things inspired on the architecture of the sky scraper city’s. something that is far far away from my heritage. Maybe the closest to my heritage is the calf-leather and the cows my grandpa had on the farm?! I guess sometimes turning your back to your heritage to create a new one isn’t that bad, times change and sometimes these change are the beginning of “new-heritage” for the future generation.

(How) do you reflect your personal heritage into your design(s)? 
Chris van den Elzen: It’s the opposite.

If you could trade your heritage, for what would you trade it? 
Chris van den Elzen: I wouldn’t

What’s a standard day for you? 
Joelle Boers: I’m a wild child, no standard day for me 
Chris van den Elzen: There is no standard day in my life.

Vegan, vegetarian, healthy diet or any food will do? 
Joelle Boers: I’m very picky with food, so yes I am a vegetarian, and mostly I’ll try to eat healthy, boring right ;)
Chris van den Elzen: Sushi!!!
designs by Joelle Boers | photo by Karen Kikkert







What is your bad habit? 
Joelle Boers: Too many..!

Are you a people's person or a loner? 
Chris van den Elzen: Depends on the day.

Do you have a pet? 
Joelle Boers: Yes I love pets, sometimes I wish I lived on a farm and had a pony, piggy and everything! I have two dogs that are everything to me, husky Luca and pomeranian Jax
Chris van den Elzen: Epoxy (best cat ever), she lives with my ex.

What’s your favourite city? 
Joelle Boers: London and New York are everything!
Chris van den Elzen: London

Are you going on holiday this year? If so, where are you going? 
Chris van den Elzen: If somebody takes me :P

design by Chris van den Elzen
Who are your target consumers? - How do you define them? 
Joelle Boers: Women and Men that want something special, something illustrated or with a unique print and handmade. Something that is made in a fair way and in limited editions! People who wants to express themselves!

Chris van den Elzen: Women (men) that want something special, something exclusive and handmade. Something that is made in a fair way.

What is your price range? - How do you balance between the function of the items and the appearance of them? 
Joelle Boers: The showpieces are not for sale, but my ready to wear garments are made in small productions, the price depends on which material and which style it is. Illustrated T-Shirts and backpacks starting from 60,- Blouses, Shift Dresses, Culotte Trousers, Sweaters, Jackets and Coats are in between the price of 89,95 and 399,-

Chris van den Elzen: Jewelery prices between 25-150 euro Sneaker sandals (prices unknown) High Heels start at 1500 euro (made to measure) The shoes are not daily wear, they are statement pieces, these shoes make people turn their heads around while you walk by.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...