maandag 27 mei 2013

New Talent from Gibraltar: Christel Mifsud


Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?)
My Name is Christel Mifsud, I was born and raised in Gibraltar. I design and make casual, nightlife and creative clothing under my brand named ‘Shorji’.

What inspires you in general?
Basically anything that catches my eye can inspire me, for example, people, cultures, fitness, TV, music, travelling, fabrics and everyday life.













Where are you based?
Gibraltar

What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
Difficult but with hard work anything is possible.

What place/city do you find inspiring?
Tokyo and New York City


What is the concept behind your latest collection/creation?
Being an athletic person myself, I always found it difficult to find fashionable sportswear, something people would not only look good but also feel good and at the same time comfortable, wearable and practical. So my collection ‘Street’ was born.

Describe your collection/creation in three words.
Fresh, Edgy, Practical

Did you always want to work in the field of fashion?
I have always loved fashion from a very young age but being so tiny it was always a challenge to find clothing to fit my petite frame, so I started to sew my hems and alter clothing to fit me properly. Shortly after I was buying books and learning from the internet how to make my own outfits, took sewing lessons to further my skills. I guess I kind of got into it by accident.

Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Issey Miyake and Alexander McQueen


What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
It should be that I won New Designer Competition at RUNWAY GIBRALTAR.

What is on your music list while you are making your collection/creation?
I usually turn on a music channel on my TV or press random on my mp3 player.

What made you smile today?
My mum who made me my favorite walnut bread and booking flights with my boyfriend to Maastricht made me smile.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?
A pair of training shoes for my weekly fitness lessons.

What can we expect from you in the future?
Expand and add more collections and eventually own an online shop and store.

How do you feel after you win the New Designer Competition?
I was super excited, completely overwhelmed and exhausted after just over two weeks of running out from work and straight home to design, pattern make and sew, however, so worth it in the end.


How do you like the city where you live, Gibraltar?
I love Gibraltar. It’s a busy small country with a big heart, a very safe place that is multi-cultural and rich in history. We also have Macaques that mostly roam the upper rock but you can find the odd few around town.


Photography: JAYDEN FA
      David Mansfield
                     

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...