dinsdag 12 mei 2015

SCIUMÉ at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2015

Today we are introducing Valentina Sciumé: an Italian designer, now based in Milan. She has been a designer for more than ten years. Her overwhelming passion for fashion, combined with her multiple job experiences, leaded her to launch her own brand of accessories, SCIUMÉ, two years ago. This year she will participate at designer market at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2015. Get ready to meet her and her collections by then!

http://www.sciumeaccessori.com/it/

Q&A with designer Valentina Sciumé:

How would you describe your work? 
I think it's one of the most creative and dynamic jobs. It involves both precision and techniques, not only creativity. Before starting every new collection, I always do lots of research about the theme, new materials, and colors that I might use. When my ideas are clear enough, I start designing the technical part. And then after a meeting with suppliers, I make the first prototypes. Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity? I look for creativity through my travels and landscapes. But creativity always occurs to me suddenly at an unknown moment. I need to see new things, walk and be aware of the details of the cities where I stay. Sometimes, even a building can trigger my new ideas. That’s what stimulates my creativity from time to time.


What was the most important thing your parents taught you, that you now bring into your work?
I'd like to thank my parents for the values that they have instilled in me. Those values are the most important thing in my life. They taught me that respect was the basis for every relationship. You always need to be humble. Honesty has to be at the top of the list. Sooner or later, all my efforts will be repaid. Most importantly, you need to be down to earth all the time.

Which item in your wardrobe really typifies you? Why? 
My closet is a mix of styles. One of my favorite pieces that typify me is certainly a leather jacket from the '80s, bought in Milan in a vintage market.

What is your most favorite brand? Why? 
Actually, this is a question that I don't like. I think that someone who isn't a designer could answer better. I can’t name a particular designer that I love, because I see everyone’s work in different aspects. Every designer is recognizable for his or her particular characteristic. Certainly, I'm linked to Versace. I worked there for more than two years and I studied the great Gianni's style. His prints are amazing. But when it comes to the organization and marketing techniques of an Italian brand, for me it's definitely Prada. I would buy all of their accessories. Miuccia Prada is a genius. Overall, there are lots of brands in Italy that represent italian excellence and lots of foreign brands that I love.

How would you define fashion? 
I think that fashion is a philosophy that changes over and over again, it is a resource for fantasy, also a world of dedication.

Are you a people's person or a loner?
Without any doubt, I love being surrounded by people. I've never been a lone wolf.

What are the key factors in your design?
Geometry, galvanics, the twist of different materials such as resin, brass and pvc.

What makes your items different from others? What is your designing philosophy? 
Avant-garde design both in shapes and new materials and color research, conceptual accessories. And every piece is made by hand in Italy, which makes each one unique.

What is the contemporary condition of fashion in your place of residence? 
I live in Milan, the ideal city for a designer. This is the heart of the fashion world. It's a city that gives you lots of opportunities.

What are your views on gender categorization in fashion? 
I think that in the fashion industry it is normal to find differences between male and female collections. Clothes are designed to follow our body shape. Therefore, it should dictate differences. I think it's obvious and natural, al least for us in the West.

Do you believe the western binary gender system (male/female) will eventually disappear?
No, I think it will always exist.

What are your thoughts on the idea that unisex is the new androgynous in fashion? Androgynous is a word that has been used by designers in fashion industry to do experiments. But it's different from unisex. Androgynous is masculine. And be androgynous can be a woman that wears men’s cut trousers, with a really short haircut, or with pronounced features. Unisex is a term that, in my opinion, can be used when we talk about a t-shirt or a basic sneaker, but not about clothes in general.

What does your collection try to communicate? What is it about? 
In my collections, I try to communicate my idea of fashion, transforming my visions into creations that represent me.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH? 
Because I appreciate the importance of this project and the union of different arts. I think that Maastrict could be a new window to show fashion, stimulating an interesting focus.

What can we expect from you at the festival?
Lots of innovation and a new avant-garde design concept.

Who are your target consumers? How do you define them? 
My accessories target at women who love excessive attentions to their details and who look for exclusivity. The concept of my brand is that the accessory has to wear you.

What is your price range? 
My jewels’ prices range from 100 to 800 euros, depending on the exclusivity of the quality and the design. Hats’ prices range from 50 to 100 euro. All of the hats are hand made and the materials that I use are from Italy.

How do you balance between the function of the items and the appearance of them? 
The most difficult, at the same time important, thing is to have two parts for each collection. But it's important that the collection always has two parts; one more commercial and one more fashion, the majority of my pieces are strong but saleable because you can wear them, others are created to be used in shootings, and for sure they are pieces that represent my creativity at it’s best.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...