donderdag 17 mei 2018

Pu Tianqu presents Office Boy

photo Fang Bohung
Pu Tianqu is a Chinese fashion designer, graduated from the Insituto Marangoni, specializing in patternmaking, print and graphic design. His menswear collection, 'Office Boy', explores the balance between 'following the rules' and freedom. Our individual desires inevitably, to different extents, go against societal rules. Pu Tianqu explores whether there is a balance to be found. What would we wear to work if we could wear whatever? Can we combine that with what we should wear?

Pu Tianqu's collection will be presented at the Show Programme on Saturday the 16th of June at the SAM-Decorfabriek. Get your tickets here.

What made you realize that you wanted to work in (fashion) design?
Fashion has always been a part of my family. My mum is a very elegant lady. She has a super big wardrobe full of dresses. And I love to realize my creation since I was really young. I don’t see any reason why not to become a designer.


Why did you choose fashion?
 Ohh, that's a funny story:). I always like to wear something unique and interesting. And I always like to realize my ideas of design as I said. So when I was thinking about my future career at the first time. FASHION just appeared in front of my eyes. I still haven't had a bad feeling about it. So I will probably keep going:)


What would you say are your main achievements in your career? 
I would say to be selected to the show of FASHIONCLASH festival is the most significant achievement I had so far. This collection is also published in the trend book of Lineapelle.

What are your sources of inspiration?
My inspiration is coming from everywhere. From the news I read, to a movie I watched and even a conversation I had, etc. But they are always related to human beings. Humans are the most complicated creatures to understand and this complexity allows for the possibility to connect, seemingly, irrelevant elements, which is my way to create.

Why did you decide to participate in FASHIONCLASH 2018? What are your expectations?
I have been thinking to attend some competitions or events since last year. Now I am finally satisfied with my work. And during this year I started to follow some organizations including FASHIONCLASH. Then I’m here:) . FASHIONCLASH festival is a party full of joy, which I consider to be one of the priorities of my design. I already achieved my expectation, which is attending the show's program. Now, I just need to finish my collection and see what I can have.

photo Fang Bohung
What do you love most about (fashion) design? What are the biggest struggles faced by young designers? In my opinion, to choose a theme is the most important step of designing. It seems I’m more interested to choose a theme related to me, therefore doing research and design is like a self-exploration. Every time I know myself better and better. And I feel I’m not as aggressive as I used to be, which makes me a better person. How to balance commercial value and personal aesthetics as well as time management are the biggest struggles.

How would you define fashion? I don't want to define fashion. Fashion can be a polished description of clothes or a form of art. Depend on what you see. And the world is still moving forward, as well as fashion, nobody knows what the future looks like. The definition is not that important to me.

What do you think are the most important issues in fashion today? Sometimes designers have to submit to commercial for survival. I’m not saying commercial is bad but commercialization kills most designers’ creativity. In addition with the fast pace of work, fashion designers are not having enough time to do experiments.

How do you think fashion contributes to society, can it contribute to a better world? Fashion is able to provide self-confidence, which is a contribution. Fashion is a way of expression. At least it enriches the diversity of the world.

What challenges do you face in the design process? What are your favorite parts of the process? Time management. My favorite part is doing research.

Describe your design process in one word.
Collage

photo Fang Bohung
How would you describe the concept behind your project (for FASHIONCLASH)?
From Erwin Wurm’s sculpture, the sense of humor and humiliation interrogates me how we behave ourselves and who we actually are. The atmosphere of society forces us to follow a set of rules, some of which are inevitably against our desires. We are all looking for freedom but not all of us have the pride to challenge rules. Is there a solution to remain the best balance of reality and individual willingness? This collection is a personal exploration of the question.

What inspired you?
With thinking about the question, I read an interview about baby fetish. I involuntarily substitute myself for one of interviewees and think about how would the relationship be between the interviewees and the society. Their serious and reliable looking faces reminds me of my mom’s colleagues at a financial office. Not long ago, I read a report about a young British guy, who got refused at work because of his shorts, then he wore a pink dress to protest. I started to be curious about what may be in the wardrobe of employees who have a baby fetish and what do they wish to wear at work.

How would you describe your project in three words?
Idealism. Experimental. Surrealistic.

What projects are you involved in at the moment? What are your next steps?
Now I’m just doing the show project for FASHIONCLASH festival. I graduated last December and I came back from China to Europe in March. I will finish everything in middle of May and then I’m going to look for a job in Europe, probably in northern Europe. After 4 years living in Italy, I think it’s time to make some changes.

What are your thoughts regarding fashion and religion?
I totally believe in my design, which is similar to how believers trust their religions. In this situation, fashion is my religion.

How does your day look like during the design process?
The collection I enrolled to FASHIONCLASH festival is also my final assignment for my degree. During the design process I’m still having patternmaking class everyday from 8 to 14. I also have homework to do after class. It was really difficult to concentrate on designing this collection in the beginning. I can visit 1 maybe 2 shops or workshops in the afternoon and doing design only in night.

Who is your favorite artist?
Erwin Wrum.

Who is your favorite designer?
Haider Ackermann

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...