vrijdag 8 juni 2018

Teun Seuren presents I Decline


God is a Woman!? project
Teun Seuren, is a 25 year old Dutch designer from Limburg. Last year he graduated from HKU University of the Arts Utrecht as a Fashion Designer specialized in men's fashion. His work gives of a message by posing questions with different perspectives such as homosexuality gender and vulnerability. For this collection, 'I Decline', he has been inspired by the theme of the FASHIONCLASH Festival 2018, Fashion, My Religion!.
His collection explores the relationship between religion and gay power, making a statement about being gay and having faith.

TEUN's collection will be presented at the Show Program on Saturday the 16th of June. Get your tickets here.


You can also see Teun's work at Centre Céramique as part of God is a Woman!? project exhibition.
More information about the project:here 


What made you realize that you wanted to work in (fashion) design?
I realized that I wanted to work in fashion after making the mistake to study electrical engineering. This wasn't the right career for me and I had to make a radical change. One of my teachers gave me the recommendation to visit a fashion school. When I stepped inside that school I knew thas was the place for me and it felt like I was home.

Why did you choose fashion?
As a child I always loved to dress up and play around in my grandma's workspace. Once I made an entire collection for my nieces, made from old fabrics and curtains. This was my first experience with fashion and I loved it. I can definitely say that I got the sewing skills from my grandma, and I am really grateful that she let me help her all the time, even when I was always standing in her way because of my curiosity.

What would you say are your main achievements in your career?
After I graduated I was selected for the "Lichting Show" at Amsterdam Fashion Week, this was definitely the icing on the cake after 4 years of hard work. I didn't win but being part of this amazing event was worth all the hard work.

What are your sources of inspiration?
Mostly I get inspired by things that frustrate me. I want to highlight these frustrations and transform them into something good.
Why did you decide to participate in FASHIONCLASH Festival 2018? 

I choose FASHIONCLASH because the diversity of the show appeals to me. Also, I wanted to use the opportunity to show myself as a designer.

What do you love most about (fashion) design? What are the biggest struggles faced by young designers?

 What I love the most about fashion design is to be creative all the time. My mind never stops creating, and to really work out the ideas is such a blessing. I can sit for hours spending on a piece by sewing beads on it, ore crochet a complete jacked out of nothing. The process of these projects give me such a good feeling.

How would you define fashion? 
I would define fashion as a way to send out a certain message about the world. Fashion is a way to express your true identity, with fashion you can make yourself in to something you would like to be. For me it's also a area to play with gender norms and with masculinity and femininity.

What do you think are the most important issues in fashion today?
Fashion contributes to society because it is about inclusiveness, acceptance, tolerance, gender, and identity. Fashion has become more fluid just like gender and identity.

How do you think fashion contributes to society, can it contribute to a better world?
Fashion is part of society and also a rejection of it. Fashion is generally everywhere. Everyone wears clothes, and then it is a fashion in a certain way. Fashion is also a thing in our society, we dress to how others think we should dress. In addition, fashion is also an aversion to society. In order to oppose the status quo, we dress differently, and the fashion image is therefore also influenced. Fashion is a reflection of how we view the world and what will happen to the world.

What challenges do you face in the design process? What are your favorite parts of the process?
I really struggle with defining a concept at first. Experimenting with fabrics is how I mostly get started with my concepts. I am not that good with words or telling a story, however I let my designs speak for themselves. For me it's important to let others have the feeling I get from my designs.

Describe your design process in one word.
Hysterical.

How would you describe the concept behind your project (for FASHIONCLASH)?
The concept behind my collection is a clash between homosexuality and religion. Why is there still a problem within religions when it comes to homosexuality? I want to find the overlap between the two and merge them together. "I DECLINE" is a final showdown in which we demand to be accepted.

What inspired you? For this concept I was inspired by burqas and the gay pride flag, mixed with influences from the 70's and 80's gay culture. How would you describe your project in three words? Raw, masculine, dramatic.



What projects are you involved in at the moment? What are your next steps?
I am invited to be part of a project called "GOD IS A WOMAN?" for FASHIONCLASH Festival 2018. For this project I already made one look and that will be presented during FASHIONCLASH Festival 2018.

What are your thoughts regarding fashion and religion?
I find in very interesting that fashion plays such a big role in certain religions.

What does your day look like during the design process?
First, I put my music on. Then I surround myself with materials and get to work.

Who is your favorite artist? My favorite artist is ANOHNI.

Who is your favorite designer?
A few of favorite designers are: Walter van Beirendonck, Bas Kosters, Thierry Mugler and Alexander McQueen.

https://www.teunseuren.nl

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...