zondag 18 mei 2014

Sasha Nassar

Sasha Nassar is a womenswear designer from Jaffa, Israel. With her latest collection she wants to show that the Arab woman can have her own "Arab Spring." You can discover her enlightening and inspiring collection during the FASHIONCLASH Fashion Shows.

Hello Sasha! Please introduce yourself. Who are you? Where do you come from? What is your field of specialization?
I am Sasha Nassar from Jaffa, Israel. Jaffa is a unique port city with mixed population and geography – there is old next to modern, there are Jews next to Arabs. It is a city that challenges the concept of beauty. Although it is rugged, it captures the eye and mind of everyone visiting the city. Next to my childhood home, in the old port of Jaffa, I have watched how thousands of people define who they are by what they are wearing. Choosing to be unique or look alike, I found that clothing and textile are some of the most fascinating things. Made out of still objects, they have a life of their own. My passion for fashion expresses my desire for people, diversity, and the freedom to be your true self.

Where are you based?
Paris.

What inspire you in general?
My grandmother, Jaffa - the place I was born - Middle East culture and history.



What place or city do you find inspiring?
Jaffa.

What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
It’s amazing to see how much love and support you get as a young fashion designer in Tel-Aviv and Jaffa.

What attracts you about the FASHIONCLASH platform?
I think it’s a great opportunity to spread my work in the Netherlands.

How does your collection celebrate female beauty and figure?
Well, the theme of the collection is celebrating femininity, and the designs embody strength through prints and shapes. The fabrics are soft and see-through.
The collection is made of 6 see-through outfits. Two of them are burqas, but you can still see the model’s body. The four other outfits are dresses. The third dress is inspired from the djellebah, the fourth one starts to be occidental with prints inspired from the keffiah, in the fifth dress you notice that lace is starting to take control over the dress. Finally, the last one is almost entirely in lace. There is still a bit of print in order to keep our history and culture. Those dresses gradually transform into occidental sexy dresses. It shows that Arab women can also celebrate their beauty.
The woman that inspired me is a strong woman that fights for her rights. I felt that it was about time that the Arab women got their own “Arab Spring.”
My grandmother was the real inspiration behind the collection. She was born in a Jewish religious family and was never afraid to break the rules. Her rebellious side influenced me in my concept choice.

Describe your collection in three words.
My Arab Spring.


Did you always want to work in the field of fashion?
I always wanted to do something that meant something for others. I found a way to do it through fashion.

Can you remember the first piece you designed?
Yes, it was an ugly red skirt. I don’t remember the fabric I sew it with. I think it was from paper.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
I haven’t decided yet.

What is on your playlist when you are working?
Kill J.

What is your favourite fairy tale?
Aladdin, it inspired me so much, and everyone wants to have the chance to ask for three wishes.

What made you smile today?
My little brother, when he sent me a message. He’s a teenager and usually never replies to my messages.

What can we expect from you in the future?

To design clothes with meaning and a message for the world.

Pictures by: Noffar Gat.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...