woensdag 28 mei 2014

Schaffenskraft by Daphne Hobbelen

Daphne Hobbelen is a Dutch artist who takes her inspiration from Munne, an artist that developed an interdisciplinary approach to art. Munne had the habit to wear overalls and store them in boxes for later use. Daphne got the idea to re-use those textiles and give them a new life. Her label Schaffenskraft (Creating's force) shows that recycling textile can lead to unexpected creations. Daphne will present Schaffenskraft at the FASHIONCLASH exhibition.


Picture by: Lisa Klappe

Hi Daphne! What inspires you in general? 
The imbalance within society.

What place or city do you find inspiring? 
The fragility of abandoned industrial sites and forsaken houses. What interested me as a young child were front doors, and I am still drawn to them. The feeling that I can peak through the window and get a glimpse of people’s lives fascinates me and makes me fantasize about their way of living.

Picture by: Lisa Klappe
What is it like to be a young artist in your city/country? 
It is pretty okay. Eindhoven isn’t a big city, but it keeps its artists alive and vibrating. Here you will find different kinds of artists, and currently young musicians are booming.

What attracts you about the FASHIONCLASH platform? 
The fact that it has an international appeal and that it offers such a diverse creative platform for artists.

The FASHIONCLASH Exhibition is curated under the theme of “Age.” How does your creation relate to this year’s theme?
Schaffenskraft collection can be seen as the expression of ageless textiles. Schaffenskraft stands for power wear for the working class woman throughout all ages.

How and why did you become an artist?
For as long as I know, I’ve been fascinated by the feeling of touching. Creating by hand and mastering new skills to portray a vision gives me a gratifying feeling.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why? 
Encounters with music making people and eyes that meet out of the blue.

What kind of feeling do you want to transfer with your creation? 
When I create and incorporate my feelings it always ends up with the same hidden feeling that in a way everything looks accurate but strangely is a bit crooked.

What is on your playlist when you are working? 
The playlist depends on my mood of the day. I start of by looking through my LP record collection and I then make a selection of five albums. As I have to flip from side A to B, I keep interacting with my surrounding and I don’t wallow in one state of mind.

What book shaped you? 
“Nietzsche, een biografie over zijn denken” by Rüdiger Safranski.

Who is your favorite artist/designer? 
Conceptual performing artist Marina Abramović was one of my inspirations last year.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself? 
On the Kingsday market in my hometown I bought an American oldies bluegrass LP record called: Nitty Gritty Dirt band, Uncle Charlie & his dog Teddy from 1970.

What is your favorite fairy tale and why? 
“The Big Friendly Giant” by Ronald Dahl. Dreaming is a mysterious phenomenon full of emotions that keeps me lingering throughout the day.

If your life were a song what would the title be? 
“Schaffenskraft für immer!”

What made you smile today? 
Waking up in the sunlight lying in a hammock with a man who before sunrise said he had never been in love although he woke up with a serene smile on his face.

Twitter or Instagram? 
No and No.
By Munne
What is your definition of style? 
Blaze every day in the fabric that contains your body.

What has been the greatest experience in your career so far? 
Meeting Munne.

What can we expect from you in the future? 
Free encounters that lead to creative collaborations and more Schaffenskraft productions.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...