woensdag 1 juni 2011

Jane Bowler

Jane's moodboard
What is your name? Jane Bowler


What is the name of your label? Jane Bowler Design studio

Where did you study and when did you graduate? Mixed Media Textiles MA at the Royal College of Art, London. I graduated in June 2010

What inspires you as a textile designer? I am inspired by everyday materials and objects ranging from PVC shower curtains to bath mats. I love experimenting with unexpected materials and processes. The garment that I am entering into FASHIONCLASH, is an extension of my final collection at the RCA. The collection was a witty and sophisticated approach to rainwear , inspired by traditional Japanese straw raincoats alongside a mix of samurai armor and the traditional British mackintosh.


Close-up on the detail

Who is your favorite designer/artist? Why? I love Issey Miyake’s early work, he pushed the boundaries of fashion and textiles, engineering the textiles to create his garments. His new work titled ‘Collection 1325’ which was on show at the barbican just recently was really inspiring alongside works by Junya Watanabe. I think I am attracted to Japanese fashion designers!


What can you bring to FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2011? A hint of plastic fantastic and a new appreciation for textiles!


Another close-up

How did your experience with design started? When did you decided to be a designer? Why textiles? I had always loved to collect bits and bobs from carboot sales and second hand shops.. I loved searching for unexpected gems and the prospect of transforming unusual materials and objects into something new! When I was little, I always said that when I grew up, I wanted to be an artist and own a sweet shop… I wanted to work as an artist and sell sweets at the same time! Strangely, some people have commented that my recent collection resembles sweets! Matylda from ‘Mat and Me’ Blog called my raincoats… Spaghetti wine gum dresses! Which I love!

I didn’t always want to be a textile or fashion designer… it just kind of happened through my love of materials!

What are your goals concerning your career? What are your ambitions? I am currently working on my new collection which I will be launching this September. Along side my exciting show piece style garments, I am also working on a wearable range which I am looking to launch in stores in the near future. I love what I do, and just hope that other people will love it too!



Edited by Natalia Serwanska






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...