dinsdag 1 mei 2012

Discover Mandy Rep

1. Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?) 
Hello, my name is Mandy Rep. I’m a citizen of planet earth and I’ve been send to find a goal in my life. I don’t think it’s really interesting to talk about my past so I will tell you guys what I’m doing right now, packing my bag for my trip to Bogota where I’m going to work on my exams. The cup of coffee besides me is watching me, struggling about which pants to take with me...
Yes, I love fashion and that’s the reason why I started the study of Lifestyle and Design at the Art Academy Willem de Kooning. In July I probably will be finished (If I pass my exam) and I would love to start my own agency where the focus lies on creative fashion branding.

 2. What fascinates you about graphic design?
This question is really hard to answer, because I actually don’t know if I’m still that much into graphic design as I used to be. I always saw graphic design as my biggest passion but traveling trough time creates a new vision. I’m just having hard thoughts about the whole images creating industry, I mean when was the last time you saw something on the internet that was mind-blowing-fucking-awesome? I’m reaching a point where I’m really getting sick of the overproduced meaningless images. Take for example this still growing platform Printerest, isn’t this just a sad waste of concepts?
I just love the whole creative process of creating a concept, for me graphic design is just a way to express an idea. And in my opinion the idea behind an image makes the image.


3. What do you think all the fields of design have in common (or what makes them different from each other)?
The vision of the creator, that’s what all design fields have in common. It doesn’t matter what kind of designer you are, it all starts with an idea, something you want to create, something that (in the creators opinion) would make the world a little bit more beautiful.



4. You collected a lot of experiences through internships – to which did you feel the strongest connection to and why?
I loved DesignUnit in Copenhagen! The people I worked with where great and going to the office didn’t feel like going to work, I never experienced an atmosphere that was so relaxed and down to earth as in DesignUnit.
Also I’m really fascinated by minimalistic Scandinavian design; this made me decide to do my internship with this agency. I think it’s really important that if you want to create something you really like, you have to stay true to your own style and opinions, and this made my internship at DesignUnit the most fun.

5. Which place (Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, NYC or else) inspired you the most? (if)
7 years ago I would definitely say Berlin; I mean this city is amazing, every time I’m visiting Berlin I feel like Jay-Z in the candy shop! But the mentality of Berlin is changing, everybody wants to go there and everybody does. Right now I’m really fascinated by Copenhagen; this little city contains so much inspiration. The people and the way they dress is so inspiring, my biggest hobby during my stay in Copenhagen was sitting on the bridge and observing all these fashionable people passing by. Right now I’m typing this interview on my way to Bogota in Columbia so maybe after visiting this city my opinion is changed again.

6. How do you personally define „fashionclash“ or „ a clash with fashion“ for yourself?
The “clash” for me is doing what you love but feeling that you should do something else. I have different feelings about working in the creative fashion branding field, I love to work with fashion brands and I love to create images and concepts for them, but I absolutely hate brainwashing consumers to make them spent their money on things that doesn’t make them any happier. I just don’t want to anticipate in the ruling system of ‘more is better’ but to stay doing the work I love, means to stick to the system of material value. This is a fact that is really bothering me, when I’m starting my agency, I have to find a way that would be satisfying for me in this clash... and I have to admit that I still haven’t found it.














































Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...